A Brief History About The Tomato
It is interesting to know that Tomato is being considered as a fruit by scientist, though in day to day life we consider Tomato as a vegetable. The botanical name of tomato is Solanum Lycopercium. China is the highest Tomato producing country, followed by India, USA, Turkey, Egypt and so on. Tomato likely to be originated in the South America, but its use as food or vegetable is done in Mexico. George W. Carver was a great scientist who worked in the Alabama, and was a major promoter of Tomato. In Alabama the Tomato was considered to be a poisonous fruit, George Washington Carver was the man who promoted Tomato in Alabama.
Benefits of Tomato
Just a look of tomato is Delicious isn’t it? But tomato contains many ingredients like Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Vitamin B6 and potassium. Tomato contains the lowest amount of cholesterol and calories. Extra water content makes the tomato as a blood boosting material.
Benefits of tomato are listed here:-
1. Supply of Free Radicals and Antioxidants, which fights with the cancer producing radicals.
2. Tomato helps in lowering blood pressure levels, because it maintains the low sodium intake.
3. Supply of adequate amount of fiber a single tomato gives 2% fiber, 7% fiber is recommended daily.
4. The tomato could be the reason behind your glowing skin as it supplies Lycopene, which makes the skin more sensitive and protect it from UV rays.
5. Tomato also keeps our body hydrated, which is beneficial in reducing constipation. Constipation may lead to many other problems related to digestion system.
6. Tomato also contains folic acid which is beneficial to pregnant women.
7. An anti depressing hormone also known as Serotonin is also supplied by a tomato.
8. The tomato itself provides different varieties out of which First Lady, Jet star, and new girl are considered to be rich in antioxidants. Also read benefits of an Apple
1. It is very likely that one should be aware of own allergies toward any food, from the past experience with tomato eating can only be helpful with this.
2. Never eat tomato unwashed, now a day many farmers are using different types of pesticides to multiply the production, however, it is a best practice to wash any fruit or vegetable with the water.
3. Tomato leaves and stem is a poisonous, tomato leaves when used in the green tea or any other tea produces a poisonous mixture, therefore it is very good that we should remove the tomato leaves before consumption.